Welcome to Soft in the Paint’s inaugural NBA Drip Power Rankings! Be sure to check this space often for fresh rankings of the league’s premier pregame fits.
Today’s rankings are based upon the season opening slate of games from Tuesday & Wednesday night.
So, without further ado…
1. Kyrie Irving – Gotta say I loved the poncho from Kyrie. I mean, for one, did I mention he wore a poncho?? We’ll have to check our archives but pretty sure that’s a NBA first. Two, the poncho reads “Sure you trust your government? Just ask a Native American.” He didn’t stop there. Kyrie continued to slay with an uber-efficient 26pts in 25 minutes leading the Nets to an opening night victory against the visiting Warriors.
2. Russell Westbrook – Y’all knew Russ would be featured here frequently, but to explode right out the gate like this? Whew. This color palette gave me serious Pee-Wee’s Playhouse vibes. It’s no small wonder he notched a triple double in his Wizards debut.
3. Kyle Kuzma – The Kuz oozed icey with his matching Hypercolor™ pants and mask. I need Hypercolor™ drip in my life! Such a delight, honestly. You know Bill Walton saw this fit and was looking to “Add to Cart.”
4. Wes Matthews – Wessy Wes strolled strong down the Staples Center tunnel marking a stunning debut for his new team the Los Angeles Lakers. The veteran sharpshooter didn’t miss Tuesday night against the Clippers (okay so he went 0-2 in the Lakers’ loss but that drip had an eFG% of 100). Steven Adams – With one of the more relatable fits of the night, NBA’s Aquaman looked like my college roommate walking back from our crusty old dormitory shower. Better wear those sandals in the shower dude!
5. Steven Adams – With one of the more relatable fits of the night, NBA’s Aquaman looked like my college roommate walking back from our crusty old dormitory shower. Better wear those sandals in the shower dude!
6. DeAndre Jordan – DAJ rolled hard in the literal paint grabbing 11 rebounds with this Rothko-esque camouflage sweatpants look. Somebody call the Louvre!
7. Jimmy Butler – Jimmy G. rocked a lowkey look but stole my heart with the peace sign t-shirt and matching purple Jordan 1s. Butler later went on to record 7(!) steals in a loss to the Orlando Magic.
8. Bradley Beal – Big Panda earned an automatic entry to this week’s rankings with the Washington Bullets throwback jersey. So clean!
9. Victor Oladipo – Dipo dripping pink! His flamingo hued tee and sneakers caught my eye. The former Hoosier posted a solid 22pts/4ast/4reb line in a win against the Knicks.
10. Jayson Tatum – This jacket is *different.* His mostly grayscale fit buttressed and accentuated the yellow, making it pop like a lemon flavored Alka-Seltzer. Tatum’s game-winning bank shot popped off the screen as well, with the Celtics defeating the Bucks in a clash of Eastern Conference heavyweights.
See you next week my fellow NBA fashion geeks!
Prewitt Scott-Jackson writes prose poetry & small fiction. Prewitt prefers *short* walks on the beach because, and I quote, “It’s really hard to walk on sand.” Find more words & blarney from PSJ on the interweb super highway at allsalinitylost.com