1. Place an ice-cube on the earlobe of your left ear.
2. Breathe slowly into a paper sack.
3. Drink a glass of water while standing on your head..
4. Say quickly seven times:
“Hiccups, sticcups, stand straight up.”
5. Hold your breath and count to 100 by fives.
6. Think of seven baldheaded men.
7. Ask a friend or a relative to scare you.
Louis Phillips’ recent poetry publications include The Domain of Silence, The Domain of Absence: New and Selected Poems (Pleasure Boat Studio, 2015), The Domain of Small Mercies: New & Selected Poems ], Volume 2 (Pleasure Boat Studio, 2017), How Wide the Meadow (World Audience Publishers, 2019).